The umbilical cord is the passage through which the baby receives all the nutrition in the womb.The cord is connected to placenta of the mother.After delivery it is cut off through a painless process ,which leaves a stump on the baby’s navel.This stump falls off on it’s own somewhere between 7-21 days after birth.
But the umbilical stump needs a lot of care, so that it doesn’t lead to infection.Here are few tips to take care of the stump and prevent infection
- Sponge Bath –avoid giving your baby tub bath, as exposing the stump area to water for long may lead to infections, hence it is advisable to give only sponge bath till the stump falls off and gets dry.
- Avoid Onesies and rompers-The stump area should not be covered, as it may lead to rubbing .Dress your baby with loose clothes and avoid clothes that cover the whole body like onesies.
- Don’t touch the stump and also advice the same to people paying a visit to the baby.
- Use Diapers which are designed for newborns or else cut diaper if it touches the stump area.
- Clean the area near the stump using a damp cotton.Make sure you pat the area dry after cleaning.
- After the stump falls off it takes sometime for the navel to get dry completely. Follow the above mentioned precautions till it is completely dry.
- Contact your doctor in case you see pus around the stump or baby cries while cleaning the surrounding area of stump.
Once the stump falls off and the area is completely dry your baby can enjoy the tub bath and wear the cute onesies .
Hope these precautions will help you take care of the new-born, but it is always advisable to take your doctors suggestion and tips for care of Umbilical cord stump.