Whenever I post about sensorial activities the most common question that is asked by moms is How do you clean the mess ? Well honestly I have my tricks and tips for minimising my work of cleaning but I never minimise on the mess my baby can create and play with.
Childhood is all about experience and there is no better way to experience than touch.Touch and mess create a sense of happiness.Let me take the example of La Tomatina Festival in Spain and Holi in India.Both the festivals are messy and fun.Messy play excites the brain and the feeling is of enjoyment,fun and happiness.
Apart from happiness there are various other benefits of messy play
There are no guidelines for messy play and hence you can see your little one creating their own version of mess.
Messy play is the best way to explore as its open ended and unstructured.
Children learn to be more expressive while they involve in messy activities apart from learning the various terms related to play like gooey, sticky,etc.
They learn to have more control over their body while they explore.It is the best way to hone gross and fine motor skills.
When playing in a group they learn how to play which involves so much of touch but without hurting or pushing.Messy plays helps them be more social and enjoy the company.
Still wondering how to start with messy play check this out Sensorial Activity -Edible Slime (Free Play)
Still feel like you can’t deal with the mess try these tips
- Let your baby play with water just plain water.
- Make the bath time messy play time.
- Let them explore the messy stuff on their high chair
- Make some edible messy play with banana,avacado,papaya. Just mash these fruits and give it to them to explore.
- Boil some extra noodles while you make it and let your baby have some messy fun with those extra noodles.
- While kneading the dough give some flour and water to your toddler as well.
- Let them jump on muddy puddles.
- While visiting park let them run bare feet on the grass and the mud.
And while you involve in these messy activities do not forget to click pictures and make those childhood memories the messier the merrier.